The most popular cardio piece in any gym is the treadmill. Treadmills are also top sellers for home gyms. They allow you to take a walk or run in any weather, at any time of the day or night.
Walking is great for calorie burning and workout for your cardiovascular system. Leg strength and endurance is increased as well. For optimal use of the treadmill, consider these recommendations:
1. Wear good shoes. Walking or running shoes have broader heels and help with pronation control.
2. Familiarize yourself with the safety features of the treadmill first. Be sure that you know how to stop it in case of an emergency.
3. Be careful in getting on and off a treadmill. Don’t step on a treadmill that is already in motion. Start the treadmill slowly, and pay attention as you build up speed.
4. Be sure that your treadmill workout includes a warm up and a cool down time.
5. Hold onto the hand rails until you get steady, but then swing your arms naturally.
6. Keep your head up, shoulders back, chest slightly out, and hips aligned with the rest of your body.
7. Change the incline to work different muscles and decrease boredom.
8. Never run backwards. It puts the lower back at risk because of poor alignment and increases your risk of falling.
9. Vary your speed. If the speed of your walk into the gym is faster than your speed on the treadmill, you are not likely to see any benefit from your treadmill time. Varying your speed provides a better cardiovascular workout and works different muscle groups.
10. Set the timer to a reasonable goal for you and stick to it until you reach your goal.
If you are new to using a treadmill or any other piece of gym equipment, we have personal trainers who can help you get comfortable and get the most out of your workouts. Come by or call us at 770-898-9691 to schedule an appointment.
Frank Thomas, Owner, Innovations Fitness